13 Powerful Quotes From Black Women About Self-Love
In honor of #blackgirlmagic, we gathered some of our favorite quotes from Black women that focus on self-love, self-esteem, and so much more. Let their words remind you that you are enough, and you are so worthy of love.
1. “Self-esteem means knowing you are the dream.” – Oprah Winfrey
2. "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." - Alice Walker
3. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” - Maya Angelou
4. "I was built this way for a reason, so I’m going to use it." - Simone Biles
5. "You are your best thing." - Toni Morrison
6. “I am a feminist, and what that means to me is much the same as the meaning of the fact that I am Black; it means that I must undertake to love myself and to respect myself as though my very life depends upon self-love and self-respect.” - June Jordan
7. "One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals." - Michelle Obama
8. “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” - Audre Lorde
9. "If we give our children sound self-love, they will be able to deal with whatever life puts before them." - bell hooks
10. "I need to see my own beauty and to continue to be reminded that I am enough, that I am worthy of love without effort, that I am beautiful, that the texture of my hair and that the shape of my curves, the size of my lips, the color of my skin, and the feelings that I have are all worthy and okay." - Tracee Ellis Ross
11. "You've got to learn to leave the table when love's no longer being served." - Nina Simone
12. “We have so much coming in as sisters, when is our interior life ever put at the forefront? We constantly want to give to other people … Too much of not caring for yourself is not a good thing. We’re bad at that as achievers. Self-care is a priority and we have to do it more.” - Ava DuVernay
13. "Even if it makes others uncomfortable, I will love who I am.” - Janelle Monáe
Shine is supported by members like you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. See our affiliate disclosure for more info.