14 Resilience Mantras Shine Members Turn To For Support
Resilience can be a tricky thing to realize you have.
Sometimes, we go through challenges that feel insurmountable—and it isn’t until much later that you realize it’s been within you all along.
That’s because so often, resilience is something that we only can recognize with a different perspective. By stepping back and viewing things through a new lens, we can see strength that we might not have seen while in the thick of things. And that very perspective shift can also change over time. Research has shown that resilience ebbs and flows as we move through life—and strengthens over the years, too.
We asked the Shine community to share the mantras and affirmations they turn to when they need that reminder that resilience is already within them. We gathered a few of our favorites below for you to adopt and repeat when you need a boost—or a nudge to remain in the present moment.
• You were made to survive and resist. If your ancestors could do it, you can do it.
• What I am doing is just the right thing at this moment. I am present with what is happening right now.
• I can get through hard times. I am stronger than even I know.
• I ask myself, “what would my highest self do?” and act on that. This way, I know I’m always doing the best I can with the resources I have at the time, never looking back with regret or asking “what if?”
• “Knock me down nine times but I get up 10.” —Cardi B
• A day at time. Be present. Focus on today for tomorrow will come tomorrow.
"I ask myself, 'what would my highest self do?' and act on that. This way, I know I’m always doing the best I can with the resources I have at the time, never looking back with regret or asking 'what if?'"
• “I am here and I am okay.” I’ve been saying this to myself a lot lately as a simple reminder to try to be more present in the moment.
• Never let your situation be an excuse for failure but make it a reason for success.
• “What does doing your best look like right now?” This question helps me refocus my energy on a single positive step forward. My best “right now” might not be the I’ve ever done or the best I’ll ever do. It’s what I can do right now, in this one precious moment.
• I can do anything but not everything.
• You deserve to have inner peace and not to have your body and mind be a holding space for other people’s bullshit. Protect your energy and feel great in your body.
• Inhale confidence. Exhale doubt!
• "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” —Albus Dumbledore. I've carried this one with me most of my life. It reminds me to stay in the present.
• I’m only one person and I’m trying the best I can. Don’t give up.
Shine is supported by members like you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. See our affiliate disclosure for more info.